Health Benefits of Poha That Your Hungry Tummy Wishes You Knew



Hello, People

Myself 'Poha - Kanda poha', hailing from Maharashtra.

Oh yes, you can find me all around the nation with slight variations in dressings and combinations. The cleanest city of India, Indore loves me with its Indori poha version. Trust me, I am irresistible.

I do not brag about my fan following, but trust me, I am one of the most delectable and healthy breakfast options that you can look around even in a jiffy.

From steamed to fried; breakfast to snacks; I am preferred everywhere - even in dosa batter.

Read on to witness my importance.


#1. I make sure to keep your Blood Sugar Levels within limits.


Having Diabetes? I am the one for you.

With plenty of fibers within, I ensure a slow and steady release of sugar into the blood stream, thereby preventing any sudden spikes in blood sugar levels.

I won’t let sugar harm you. Promise.


#2. I know, you don’t know - I am a wonderful probiotic.

 

Surprised?

Do you know the story of my birth?

I am made by parboiling paddy and then dried under the scorching sun for a few hours. I am then beaten flat to come to you as ‘poha'. I undergo fermentation and hence retain the microbial flora from the partially digested carbs and proteins, which is healthy for the gut.



#3. I am your powerhouse of healthy carbs.



I am made up of 76.9% of carbohydrates and about 23% of fats. I serve you with ample amount of carbs to run around all day.

#4. I am so easy on your tummy.




You need no extra efforts to digest me. I am sooo light that you can have me anytime - the first-morning meal or as a light evening meal. I promise I shall never cause bloating and you shall full for a longer duration.

#5. Yes, I have so much of iron.



I am preferred by lactating or pregnant women as they are at high risk of gestational anaemia.

Do you know I am passed through iron rollers before I reach you? Meanwhile, I retain some of the iron from the process. So it is an excellent idea to dazzle a few drops of lemon juice over me to help your body absorb the iron better.


#6. I keep a check on your calories.



I promise I do not come with extra fat.

One bowl of mine is just around 250 calories, along with a number of essential vitamins, minerals. Only if you add my friend peanut, you will trigger my calorie count.

#7. I am so concerned about your bone health.



Get a bowl of curd to play with me and I‘ll add a good amount of calcium to your bones.

Previous
Next Post »